Monday, January 19, 2009

Shopping and Such

This is my knife that I bought here in Guangzhou. It is made entirely of ox bone. The sheath has a dragon on one side and a phoenix on the other. The dragon and the phoenix together means good luck in Chinese.



These are 3 short swords. The handle has an eagle head. They are mine!

Here in Guangzhou it feels like the middle of summer. It was 77 degrees today. We found a park that has a playground, in fact it is the same playground we played on 3 years ago when we were here before. It was not just playground stuff, but there is workout equipment too and there are always lots of people doing exercises there. There is a track that I ran around ten times in 8 minutes and 49 seconds.

Almost all of the shops here have the persons name who owns it and then place. Example "Michael's Place" or "Andy's Place". We shopped at Michael's Place when we were here before and I remembered him. He says he remembers me too and thinks I have grown a lot but I wonder if he really does?

Rebecca and Emma are getting along really well. Rebecca always wants to hold my hand or my dad's hand. She likes to sit with me on the bus too. She is really cute and sweet but she likes to run off sometimes.
There is a 12 year old boy in our travel group who lives in Crestwood whose name is Devin. We have been hanging out a lot together. His family is here adopting a 14 year old boy and he is a lot of fun too. The family bought him an electronic translator so he can talk to them in English. His name is Nick. He lived with a foster family before he was adopted.

In China, it's not unusual to see friends holding hands or having their arm around each other. I don't think Devin likes holding hands (I don't blame him), but he doesn't mind his brother putting his arm around him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ryan, be grateful it's warm where you are. There's 2 inches of snow that fell in Louisville last night. You're dad would be making you shovel your driveway if you were home right now. ;)